Luxury Trains Across Canada
On a luxury train vacation, you'll not only be dazzled by the scenery outside — you'll also be delighted by the level of pampering you'll get inside as well. The Rocky Mountaineer GoldLeaf and VIA Rail Prestige classes are two examples of popular luxury train trips in Canada.
The Rocky Mountaineer is a daylight-service train, while VIA Rail's Prestige class offers luxury sleeper train service with private cabins. Both feature gourmet meals prepared with fresh local ingredients by professional chefs, as well as a great selection of Canadian-made wines.
The travel experts at Canadian Train Vacations have planned more than 25,000 personalized trips. They are specialists in creating customized itineraries designed around the activities you want to do, including luxury train tours in Canada. We can promise you that it's the most elegant and enjoyable way to see the untamed landscapes of Canada.
3 Most Popular Luxury Train Trips in Canada
Travel across Canada on The Canadian in VIA Rail's Prestige class and experience personalized luxury service throughout your journey. Your deluxe cabin includes a private bath and shower, a television, and comfortable furnishings. This trip takes you from Toronto to Vancouver and can also be done in the reverse. Exclusive private tours compliment your experience in each of your stopover destinations. We recommend a 12 to 13 day itinerary to fully explore while you’re here.
Miles covered on train: 2,762
Days on train: 4
Nights on train: 4
This luxury train ride in Canada is our most popular Rockies vacation for a reason. It includes two full days on a sightseeing dome car on the Rocky Mountaineer. This trip has the option of going eastbound, from Vancouver to Calgary, or westbound. On this eight-day itinerary, you’ll have time to explore Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise. Your travel advisor can arrange personalized activities for you, such as spa treatments, private tours and fine-dining meals.
Miles covered on train: 594
Days on train: 2
Nights on train: N/A
Take the luxury to the next level by adding a small ship cruise to your train vacation. On this 14-day itinerary, you travel by plane, train and cruise ship. After experiencing the comfort and high-end service of the Rocky Mountaineer, along with some time exploring Banff and Lake Louise, you’ll fly to Sitka for your champagne welcome on board your small ship.
Miles covered on train: 594
Days on train: 2
Nights on train: N/A
Days on boat: 7
Nights on boat: 6
What to expect on a Luxury Train Ride
- Your luxury train vacation will include valuable upgrades and extras, from the train service and hotel classes to fine dining and exclusive activities. Here’s what you can expect on your luxury train trip in Canada:
- Premium accommodation when not on the train, such as Fairmont hotels. This can also include upgraded room levels.
- Oversized cabins and concierge service of Prestige Class
- Unique choice of privately guided sightseeing experiences
- Feature dining experiences in destinations such as Toronto and Vancouver
- Airport and train station transfers with a private driver
Quick Facts About Luxury Train Travel in Canada
- Canada's luxury train services connect BC and Alberta by daylight train, or travel all the way to Toronto with a sleeper train.
- Luxury sleeper train service runs year-round and daylight service trains from mid-April to mid-October.
- Both the luxury sleeper train and daylight services provide spectacular views and optimal photo opportunities
- Chef prepared meals and local BC wines are included on the train as well as gourmet snacks.
- Every need is taken care of by attentive onboard hosts or exclusive concierge service.
Luxury Train Experiences
These are some suggested train experiences for your Canadian adventure
VIA Rail Prestige Service
Prestige class sleeper service on VIA Rail’s Canadian train operates year-round and you can travel all the way from Vancouver to Toronto or vice-versa. Both luxury train services provide spectacular views and optimal photo opportunities.
The Rocky Mountaineer connects British Columbia and Alberta, with stops in Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Vancouver, Whistler, Quesnel and Kamloops. The train runs from mid-April until mid-October. The Rocky Mountaineer is a daylight only train designed so that passengers can experience the most spectacular views and optimal photo opportunities.
The rail portion of your trip can come before or after your Alaska cruise. There are two types of cruise ships to choose from: a larger, more luxurious vessel or a smaller ship that allows you to visit more coves and inlets. Each type of ship has its advantages and it depends on your style of travel and what you want to get out of your Alaska cruise adventure.
Luxury Train Types
Both Rocky Mountaineer and VIA Rail offer luxurious train services across Canada. Let our Canadian Insiders help you choose the train service that is right for you, or combine both styles of luxury into one trip.
Luxury Services on the Rocky Mountaineer
The GoldLeaf Service
Rocky Mountaineer's premium GoldLeaf Service is, quite simply, as good as it gets. The custom designed coach with fully-domed, panoramic windows ensure you'll get a superior viewing experience of the Canadian Rockies. And with hot, gourmet meals prepared from regional cuisine by Rocky Mountaineer's executive chefs, you'll experience luxury at its finest along the way.
What's included in GoldLeaf:
- Fully domed windows that give you unparalleled panoramic views from your seat in the upper-level of a custom-designed bi-level dome coach
- Reclining seats that rotate to accommodate groups of four
- 36 dining room seats with picture windows (four guests per table)
- Spiral staircase and ADA elevator to dome level
- Complimentary beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) throughout the journey, along with gourmet snacks.
- An exclusive outdoor vestibule in the lower-level of your dome
- Overnight hotel accommodation in Kamloops or Quesnel with luggage delivered to your hotel
- Two daily gourmet meals with full table service
- Complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages throughout your journey
- Transfers to and from the train
Luxury Services on VIA Rail
Available between Toronto and Vancouver, Prestige Class offers a refined experience with completely revamped cars and accommodations. This unparalleled encounter with nature comes with thoroughly personalized attention. It's an inspiring way to admire Canada's beautiful landscapes. Enjoy attentive, personalized concierge service throughout your trip. Prestige Sleeper class is designed to offer passengers complete peace of mind, with priority reservations in the dining car and priority boarding. Savour the all-inclusive treatment, with refined dining and complimentary drinks service.
What's included in Prestige Class:
- Personalized concierge service throughout your trip
- The Prestige Sleeper cabin is 50% larger than the cabin for two in Sleeper Plus class
- It features a comfortable sectional couch during the day, facing an extra-large picture window for incredible views
- Private washroom with shower
- Get a good night's rest in a deluxe fold down bed with turndown service
- A flat-screen TV with video selection
- Minibar stocked with a selection of beverages
- Priority reservations in the dining car, offering delicious breakfast, lunches and dinners prepared by onboard chefs.
- Access to the Prestige Park Car, which offers spectacular views, complimentary bar service, snacks, activities such as wine tastings, and interactive talks on local history and culture
Why book your luxury rail trip with Canadian Train Vacations?
We take care of all the details
Independent travel with expert support
Get help when you need it
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Rocky Mountaineer GoldLeaf is worth the cost for the spectacular dome car, the fine-dining meals, and the luxurious lounge chairs. In addition, there is at-seat bar service and personal attention from the hosts.
The only luxury train which goes across Canada is VIA’s Canadian Train. While it has other service levels, its Prestige Class is a luxury option with private cabins, concierge service, exclusive viewing and lounge cars, and fine-dining meals in the dining car.
A luxury train vacation in Canada can start from $5,020 for eight days in the Rockies. This includes your train, meals on the train, hotel accommodations while off the train, along with private tours and excursions.
Sign up for special offers, monthly Canadian Insider tips, and vacation inspiration.