VIA Rail Vacations
Travel Canada's diverse landscapes by train
VIA Rail Canada has perfected the art of ferrying passengers across this vast country. Unwind on a classic overnight train, where you can stretch out in a cozy sleeper cabin and dine on exquisite meals. It's the most comfortable way to explore the natural beauty of Canada.
The old-growth forests of British Columbia. The icy peaks and glaciers of the Rockies. The wide open skies of the prairies. The big city lights of Toronto. The mirror-like lakes of Quebec and Ontario cottage country. The sleepy fishing villages of the Maritimes. These are just a few examples of what you can experience on a VIA Rail vacation.
Planning a train trip to Canada and
WANT TO MAKE IT BETTER?
Plan your trip with a Canadian Insider
You know that friendly character you met in the local café who told you to visit that well-kept regional secret which turned out to be the best part of your holiday? That's us.
Have everything organized for you
By this stage, you're already having dreams about mountains, moose and maple trees. We combine your personal preferences with our insider knowledge to save you hours of pointless internet trawling.
Get help when you need it
We're here to make sure you get the inside scoop before you even leave home. And you can relax on your vacation because you know that we're a phone call away if you have any questions while you're in Canada.
There are two train routes in Canada which allow you to sleep on the train. Travel between Vancouver and Toronto on The Canadian, with stops in Jasper or Winnipeg. Or travel the East Coast of Canada on the Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax. Both sleeper train routes are available all year long. Some sleeper trains in Canada are equipped with special panoramic viewing cars to provide you with the best view of the scenery day or night.
Quick Facts About Via Rail Vacations
- This passenger rail service connects Canada from Vancouver to Halifax, with four different train routes. Major city stops include Vancouver, Jasper, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and Halifax.
- Depending on the train route, VIA Rail offers daylight or overnight sleeper train experiences.
- Depending on your class of service, VIA Rail offers a selection of snacks, light meals, or gourmet Canadian cuisine made fresh by on-board chefs.
- Train cars feature large picture windows to highlight the vast Canadian landscape.
- On some trains, enjoy sweeping views in the Panorama car, where giant windows extend to the ceiling.
Train routes on VIA Rail
Hopping a ride on this train is the ultimate way to discover how big and beautiful Canada is. 'The Canadian' was the flagship of the Canadian Pacific Rail line when it began service in 1955. Travelling from Toronto to Vancouver, the Canadian carries you from the forests of Ontario, through the sweeping fields of the Prairies and past the dramatic snow-capped Rocky Mountains
VIA Rail's The Canadian runs between Toronto and Vancouver, offering multiple service levels. Need help deciding which one is right for you? Reach out to our travel experts for advice.
Sleeper Plus Class
Enjoy your own bed in a comfortable cabin, with private toilet and sink — plus access to a shared shower. Perks include: gourmet meals, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages, priority boarding, and access to the station lounges in Vancouver and Toronto, plus the Panorama and Skyline viewing cars.
Enjoy 50% more space compared to Sleeper Plus class, and a 60% larger window for admiring the views. Cabins feature a Murphy bed, toilet and sink, with access to a shared shower. Perks include: personal concierge, access to Park Car, all meals snacks and drinks, plus priority reservations in the dining car.
VIA Rail's The Ocean Train
- The Ocean has been carrying passengers from Montreal to Halifax for over 110 years.
- The 1,350km journey connects the Eastern edge of Canada and takes about 21 hours.
- Major city stops include Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton, and Halifax.
- The best time to enjoy this trip is from mid-June until mid-October.
- Inaugurated in 1904, the Ocean is the oldest continuously operated named passenger train in North America.
- This is an overnight sleeper train experience with meals included.
Places To Visit
Vancouver is a delightfully liveable city throughout the year, but it really shines in the summertime. You'll have the best of both worlds - the culture, dining and shopping of a world class metropolis and mountains and hiking trails right on the doorstep. The climate of Vancouver is also ideal in the summer — not too cold, but also not scorching hot. It's just the right temperature to treat yourself to some ice cream as you wander around the city.
Recommended VIA Rail Trips
Canadian Rockies Voyage by Train
Calgary, Banff, Icefields Parkway, Jasper, Vancouver
6 days from Loading...
Vancouver to Toronto Train Tour
Vancouver, Kamloops, Banff, Icefields Parkway, Jasper, Toronto
11 days from Loading...
Ready to start planning your Canadian journey?
Here at Fresh Tracks Canada, we have gourmet globetrotters, tranquil train-travellers, bold backpackers, and nature lovers. But what ties us together is that we're all passionate travellers. When we're not helping people plan vacations to Canada, we're getting together to plan our own adventures.
True North Newsletter
Sign up for vacation inspiration, insider tips, exclusive offers and more.